Monday, April 16, 2012

ARC - Laurel

Today I went to a center that creates jobs and a safe area for people with intellectual disabilities in the surrounding community called ARC. I had no idea what to expect went I chose to go there. All I was told this morning was that I would be "sorting mardi gras beads". When we showed up we were given a tour by a sweet lady named Marge, affectionately called "Margey" by the people working there. This place had a huge garden, soup kitchen and bead recycling center all creating jobs for people with intellectual disabilities. We were assigned the job of organizing and sorting and packaging and heaving 30 pound bags of beads onto pallets. Basically what the organization does is collect used mardi gras beads from the festivals and parades around New Orleans, repackages them, and sells them to organizations that will be able to use them the following year. The work was tedious, but very worth while. However, the best part of the day came not from sorting beads, or doing the labor, but from the people we worked with. I spent my entire day with a man who was 44 named Mike. Mike had intellectual disabilities and was the nicest person I have met since coming down to NOLA, and New Orleans is home to some pretty friendly people. At first, he was shy and we made small talk about the ARC and his days. Over a couple of hours of packaging beads he began to become very fond of Maggie and I. He told us multiple times that we were his best friends, and that he loved having us here. He also presented us with presents multiple times of beads and various Mardi Gras trinkets. Then, he shared some sad stories. He told of us of a time when a man called him a stupid retard in the French Quarter. I could tell he was getting physically sad from this experience. He described how he felt in such depth that I almost began to cry myself. All of the people working at the ARC have been through a ton, especially living in a poor, disaster ridden city. It isn't right for someone as friendly as Mike to be put down like this.
However, I look at my experience today at the ARC with happiness. It is so great to see an organization succeeding. Now Mike is in a stable working situation, and I am overjoyed to see such success when often being down in New Orleans, we never see. I was left with positive feelings when Mike hugged me good bye and told me he loved me, and he would miss his new best friend. I knew that I was leaving him in a good situation and that I didn't have to worry for once about what would happen next. It's satisfying to see happiness amongst all the sadness we often face.

No comments:

Post a Comment