Friday, April 20, 2012

Final Reflections Amy Jones

This year was my first year coming down to New Orleans. I think back over ten months ago when I almost did not pass in my application to be a part of this group, I had forgotten it at home and thinking that was the end of it I did not plan to act on it anymore. One of my friends promised me that Mr. Kane would allow me to pass it in late and, to my surprise not only did he accept my application but he accepted me.
I can reflect now on this last night in New Orleans, why it was so important for me to be on this trip that fate had to play a hand in making sure I took part in it.

This week I work on many different projects, I tore up floor boards in a home, painted an exterior of a house, sorted food, painted a daycare, and in the midst of all this service I was cleansed of the parts of my self that masked the true person that I am. During this trip I was simply alive, fulfilled with the purpose of service.

I'm sure its no surprise to all the parents out there that I, like all the other amazing students who were my family over these eight days, do not want to leave. I do however see coming home as a blessing. I see it as a blessing because I will have an opportunity to embrace the person I have realized that I am and to come back into the reality of the everyday and be able to stop simply going through the motions of life but to think back to what it felt like to have a purpose and then find that purpose in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment