Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Ownership

I'm a first born, so sharing doesn't always come naturally. That may seem surprising, considering that community service is my greatest love, but it's true. So one thing that always crosses my mind when it comes to NOLA, especially this year, is a sense of ownership. This is now my third year on the trip and my second as a coordinator. Since I started out as the only sophomore on the trip I've spend countless hours at NOLA meetings, fundraisers and of course planning/worrying about things during my "free" time. As a result, I've grown to view this program as something very important to me - in a way it is mine, just like it has belonged to every other participant before me and just as I belong to the program itself. It's hard to share this and to accept the fact that the magic of the program effects others just as it effects me. However I see that it does every day, especially while we're here. It's evident in reflections and even in every one's reactions to what they witness while in this city.

The people I'm sharing the program with this year are amazing in every way and I'm so grateful that I am part-owner with such a perfect selection of 41 individuals. And I'm especially glad to be sharing it with my sister for the first time. I've been so lucky to go through the ups and downs of this year with her by my side. When something hits me especially hard, she knows exactly what she needs to do to make it okay and then she does it without thinking. And I can't even count the number of times we've made eye contact over the fire at reflection because she knows just what I'm thinking and is the only one who would understand. She's the closest thing I have to a second half and I don't even think she knows just how much I need her.

I'm also sharing this trip with my best friend and pseudo-brother. I won't name him here, but he knows who he is. Seeing him grow and change over the past year has been indescribable and his presence here is loved by everyone. Without his sense of humor and crazy antics this whole year would have had an entirely different feel. When I look back at the times I've been happiest on this trip he's always in the memory, laughing and joking.

I really am who I am today because of my experience over the past three years. NOLA has given me everything from leadership skills to construction know-how to lasting relationships I will always cherish. The city itself has taught me things, like what it means to truly rise from the ashes and that sometimes all it takes is a fresh coat of paint and a smile to fix the biggest problems. I'm going to miss this all once I get off the plane on Saturday; I'm going to feel like I lost one of my prized possessions. Only part of me, deep down, knows I'm ready to move on. It's time to pass the torch, to give the program to a new group of sophomores (and juniors and seniors) so that it can become all their own.

So thank you NOLA - past, present, and future - for all that you are and all that you will be. I'm glad I could call you mine for as long as I did and will always be thankful to you. - Casey Libonate

No comments:

Post a Comment