Monday, April 23, 2012

Home, kind of~Matt


So this past Saturday as most of you know, the NMRHS New Orleans Service Learning group returned home. This was my first year in New Orleans and simply saying that it was amazing when all my friends stormed me with the "how was it" question is an understatement. This trip has offered me so much to evolve as a person. And at times, down there, it felt as though New Orleans offered me more than I offered New Orleans, if that makes sense. The hospitality down south cannot be compared with anywhere in the world, especially up here in Massachusetts. Everywhere we drove neighbors would be having BBQ's on each other's porches or one neighbor might lend a hand gardening to his or her other neighbor. During Green Light on Saturday of last week some of the NOLA group went around in cars and changed resident’s light bulbs from the normal globe light bulbs, to the CFL swirly light bulbs. Before we embarked on our task, I felt a little unsure of how well the residents would treat us just coming into their home. But to my surprise, 4 out of the 5 houses we went to were beyond friendly. They welcomed all 7 of us into their homes, actually one woman offered me dinner. It was refreshing to see this kind of hospitality. So when people say "Southern Hospitality", they mean it!

Coming home to face the reality that I am still in school was hard. Throughout the day I kept thinking to myself that right now at 11:00 AM, I could be rebuilding the Stokes' house with Twiggy, or I could be painting the Williams' house. But instead I was stuck in school doing geometry, rather be rebuilding and painting. I guess I will just have to wait until next year. This trip also brought me closer to 35 other students and allowed me to become closer friends with all of them. It also allowed me to know 5 other chaperones (aside from Kane) better. I "accidentally" maybe made one mad by playing the song "Birthday Cake" by Rihanna too much. Hopefully she won't beat me someday.

So to wrap up what I am trying to say here is that I am glad to be home in New England, but I also miss New Orleans dearly, as most of the NOLA group and I refer New Orleans to as our "home". Basically our second home. Because "home is where the heart is", and at this very moment in time, my heart is still in apartment 2 of United Saints on First St. in New Orleans, LA. I'm anticipating on returning home 10 months from now to NOLA.


No comments:

Post a Comment