Friday, April 20, 2012

A Week to Remember...

So I have been in New Orleans, Louisiana for seven days and I have had a remarkable time that will be one of the most unique and valuable experiences of my life. I have seen and learnt more in one week than I ever thought I could. With the other 41 people with me from Massachusetts helping and working together, things have changed, people have grown and bonds have been made. I am sad to leave but I feel incredibly lucky that I at least had one chance to go on this remarkable journey.

We are called a service learning group rightfully because we provide our services to people who need help either in a local area or in New Orleans and we learn a great deal of culture and social awarness through our service. We all work very hard and plan for eleven months to make this trip possible and put in a great deal of effort while we are down here. However, to me it didn't really feel like work when I was unloading food off of trucks or at meetings or repainting a house. When I think of hard work I usually associate it with pain or struggle, but never have I considered it to be fun and enjoyable. Every moment I have spent throughout this year working with other group members and Mr. Kane has been an absolute thrill. I loved every second of every minute of every day spent working towards coming here and the time I spent in New Orleans. I am so greatful for everyone who made this experience what it was for me and I know I'm going to go through life remembering my week in New Orleans and what I gained from it.

Joe Recco

No comments:

Post a Comment